12/29/11

The Real Bear Story

    Good Morning Utah !


   So it is time for the real bear story. Yes my version of what really happened on that day. I have to thank my wife for telling her side of the story. I'm not sure she will be walking back in the woods looking for bear again.
    Most of her story is correct. We do have a tradition of going in to the Tetons and Yellowstone Parks. She is learning well that a vacation there means 6:00 A.M. every morning. It may involve long walks for hours in rain snow,and mud. She has been with me them for all. Thank you babe.
    We were out looking for wildlife and did stop at a trail head. There were a couple of cars there. I ask a man coming out what he had seen and he said there was a bear and cub back in there. He didn't seen them though. A few more cars stopped and he told them. Now we had 5 or 6 cars of people all walking a half mile back in the woods to see this bear. We all walked back in and every one was looking all over for the bears. After 15 or 20 minutes no one had seen anything, and little by little they all left.  My wife wanted to leave. I told her that lets just wait a minute and let every one leave and I would find the bear. Of course she didn't believe me. This was not my first bear hunt. I told her to stay on the trail and I was going back in further to see if I could find them. Armed with my trust Nikon D 90 I snuck back in the woods. A few hundred yards in I sat down and just listened. Finally I heard a twig snap. I quietly walked a little closer in and spotted the bear and her cub. They were feeding on some berry bushes. I could see the direction they were feeding. I went back and got my wife.I told her we were going back around the bear and wait for her to come out to this clearing. I wasn't sure that the bears would end up there. Well as luck would have it, or maybe some hunting skills, here they came. We had walked out in the clearing and set down. I had my tripod set up low on the ground and was sitting down waiting for a shot. We watched as the bears fed on the edge of the clearing. The mom did pull down the thorny limbs and the cub would cry from the pokes. It was cool to watch. She had seen us but wasn't paying to much attention. While we we sitting there I told my wife, When it was time to leave we would stand up and slowly just walk away. At no circumstance RUN ! They would view that as a game or food, I repeated again,"Do Not Run". After 20 or 30 minuets for some strange reason the bear decided to turn and come strait out to us in the clearing. How lucky were we ? Can you imagine the pictures I'm going to get. I'm so excited, this is perfect. My prayers have been answered. Momma and her cub are headed right for us and only 75 yards away. Well my excitement was met 10 fold from my wife ! She said honey we need to leave. No way was I leaving until I got the shots I wanted. At about 50 yards I'm still shooting away. My wife is getting mad and wants to leave. Not even the little chipmunk in the picture would have left. It is our lucky day. I'm trying to shoot pictures and she is literally pulling me away by my sweater. I turned and said not yet I will tell you when. The bear picked up its pace and headed right for us. At this point my wife got mad and said I am getting out of hear. I snapped a few quick pictures and she stood up and Started to run away as fast as she could. I stood up and yelled at the top of my voice ,"Don't Run" .  She slowed down a little and hurried away. I turn and walked away not looking back and we left for the car. We were three quarters of a mile away from the car. When we got back I was so excited to see the pictures. I knew we were fine all the time !  OK maybe 30yards was a little close. She was moving pretty fast our way. You have to love the wild out doors. You can imagine how this story will grow over the years.

      Thanks for checking in today.  My wife did say bear skat ! I did take a picture for you so you could she she was not lying about her story. You know what they say, where there is bear skat , there's BEARS !    Have a great day

   The Bear !!!

No comments: