1/4/12

Shed Antlers

   Good Day Utah !

   I just took a few pictures of some shed antlers for the blog today. These bull elk sheds have all come from Utah. Elk, deer, and moose shed their antlers every year. They grow them back in a few short months. The older bulls can grow over 50 inches of new antler in just over 4 months.
   Getting them out to day is firing me up for some serious shed hunting. Unless you have gone out and tried this for your self , you might think shed hunting is a little out there. If you have ever picked up a nice bull elk shed then you are already hooked. It is amazing to go walk the mountains of Utah with the intent to find sheds and have success. I will have to say that most trips are a ton of miles with out any luck. The phrase ," Looking for a Needle in a Hay Stack", applies here. If you knew how many elk there were in Utah and how many thousands of acres they roam in you might get a feel for the hard work it takes. There are people so dedicated that they don't miss even one day from March until June. I have left my truck an hour before sunrise to get a good early start,only to watch the sun come up, and some one way above me on the mountain. There is a lot of competition to find and have the bragging rights to certain bulls we have watched all winter. Some days there are more people out shed hunting than there are for the elk hunts. I don't go as much as I did a few years ago. I some how have to go every year until I can find a few. Then I'm always reminded how much work and effort it takes to have some success. When you finally pick up one of these bull sheds you will never forget where you found it. There always seems to be a story behind each one.
    The shed antlers on the top picture I found In Utah county. I had watched this bull for several days up in some ledges. Finally one morning I was glassing where he had been and could see he had shed his antlers. He was in a very difficult place to climb. There were ledges several feet high where he had been wintering. There was still a lot of snow up in that area. It took me about 3 hours of walking strait up the mountain to get to the ledges. I stopped before trying to figure out how to get up there and glasses the area. I happened to see one of the antlers in the middle of the ledges. I couldn't wait to get to that area to get it. There was no one else any where close to me, but I got that feeling that some one would beat me to it. I  finally reached the spot where it was. So cool to pick one up. I knew the other side had to be close. After another hour of hiking ,covering every few feet I finally found the other side. In all it took me about 6 1/2 hours of hard walking to pick these up. Some times I have to ask my self why would some one do such a crazy thing. I know for myself It all stems from a love of the mountains.

     I think if you ask my wife she would not be real happy with all the antlers. Thank you Honey for letting them be in the front room of our house. I couldn't stand to have them hiding some where. I have taken my wife on a few shed hunting trips.She puts up with it but has not caught the fever yet ! 

      Thanks for checking in. Hope you will get out and enjoy a Wild Day in Utah !

                       The Bear

No comments: