1/23/12

Antelope From Last Week Before the Storms


 Good Day Wild Utah !
     
     The storms finally hit the state. We didn't end up with much snow in the Lehi valley, but the mountains did get a good start. I have seen a few pictures of elk that have finally come in to the valley. I haven't seen any good bulls yet. I've been watching a few little bulls, but nothing I'm willing to go hiking for yet. After these next few storms they will be force in to view.
     By the look of these Antelope I would say that they are doing pretty good so far this winter. Seems like there is a lot of feed and with mild temperatures it should be a good year for them. I drove right past where this heard was bedded and didn't even see them. They were lying down in a field with that perfect color camouflage. They were only 75 to a 100 yards from the road and I couldn't see a one.  They totally blended right in. It wasn't until I was coming back a couple of hours later that  I noticed them.They had begun to feed for the evening. It  is so easy to miss a ton when you are driving and not stopping to look with the field glasses.
     I always thought my grand father walked to slow when we were hunting. It took me years to slow down and spend more time looking than walking. I remember walking with him to go hunting and he would stop and say lets just sit down and listen for a while. I couldn't wait to get going again. Funny how he always seemed to be in the right place to bag his buck. Now I know it was his patience and the ability to listen that helped with the process. He and my father taught me to notice the little things all around us.They both gave me a real reverence for the great outdoors.
     We are fortunate in this state to have all the wildlife we do have. If we will really go stop and look we will be surprised at what we might see. There are a ton of small birds and other wildlife in our valley. Get out and enjoy them. Thanks to this blog I have really started watching and noticing things to take pictures of. I don't leave the house with out my camera. Thanks for sharing it with me.

                                   The Bear !!

1 comment:

The mom said...

Hey it was me who saw them first ! :)