5/15/12

I Think These Are The Only Two Wild Ring Neck Pheasants Alive !



          You have to look close , these are two different roosters !!

     I have been lucky enough to watch this truly wild, none ranch raised pheasant, in the field behind my house all spring. So tonight I am trying to take pictures of the the old bird and he came running right up to my fence. It made for some great pictures. Then from underneath the strawberry patch the second rooster appeared. He was inside my fence testing out the strawberries. OK tough decision here ! The hunter, protector of the garden said, " Get The Gun " !  Now it made sense why the old bird came running up to the fence so fast. He has protecting and claiming his two hens that are always with him. Until then I didn't know that there were two roosters in the area. No I did not get the gun. It was just a quick thought. LOL  :)  It really is a rare event to find a wild Ring Neck Pheasant anymore. The top picture shows how long his tail feathers are. This only comes with age. I'm sure most pheasants don't live through their first year.
     As a boy I so remember going out with my father and grandfather. Grandpa had an old black lab named Blacky. I was pretty little then and that black lab seemed to be so big .Before he jumped into the old scout with us he always had to jump in the ditch to get wet, and come shake all over us.I can still smell the aroma of wet dog sitting on your lap. He was just as excited as we were. You couldn't get out and hunt on the first day till 8:00 am. Well like normal you would always hear shots at 7:45 am. There was nothing to compare to the excitement and anticipation pheasant hunting brought. They always flew up and startled you to death. The anticipation was always there. Seemed like you were trying hard to always be ready. Walking along a ditch bank then all of the sudden a rooster flies up, you are never ready. We always talked about the one that got away. It used to be such a fun family event. Now I feel lucky to even see a wild pheasant. Just try and sneak up on one for a picture. Needless to say it made my day ! Hope you will enjoy the pictures. They are truly one of the memories I cherish most about being with my dad and grandfather.
     I got lucky today !  I've been trying the past few weeks to get a good shot. Enjoy !!

                                                                                                                        The Bear !!   


No comments: