6/7/12

This One Is A First For Me !!!!!!!!

   
         This is a lucky follow up from this winters Sandhill Cranes. Last night I could hear that the cranes have moved back into the field behind me. I had hopes that they had extended their family. This morning I could hear them and put the field glasses on them. Sure enough there was one little extra tagging along. The adult cranes could walk through the grass fairly easily. The new little tag along was no way equipped to handle the tall grass. I sat a chair next to the fence and waited and waited for them to come my way. They just slowly feed back and forth through the field. Seems like they would stop at all of the small patches of alfalfa that are in the field and ate. There are a few bare spots around to. If I get lucky they will let me get some shots just behind my fence. After a bit more patience than I usually have they came right where I had hoped they would. This little guy hasn't got anything but peach fuzz. He tried to stand as tall as he could to look just like mom and dad. I have to say kinda cute for a crane. As the parents moved through the grass all I could see was the grass moving a little behind them. It  took two hours for them to cross the field to my side. They came over and fed right alone my fence. It made a fun early morning shoot. I have put quite a lot of pictures in today. I don't think I will see this one any time soon again. So If you have never seen a baby Sandhill Crane enjoy !  It was a first for me and pretty cool to watch and see.    Have a great Wild Day In Utah !     Hope you have a great weekend.
                                                          The Bear !!!









2 comments:

Unknown said...

Priceless! That is really cool

The mom said...

Wow! I have to say my husband has had sooooo much fun just watching these birds...I have to tell you he was pretty mad at the mom and dad cause they left the baby for like 5 hrs and he was crying all over the field looking for them...Sorry babe, but I have to tell it like it is..we went to go to bed and we could still here the baby crying....My husband was really having a hard time settling down for the night because he was so worried that this little guy would turn into CAT FOOD!Can you see why I love this man!!! He's so kind hearted!!! Mom & Dad came back early in the morn...but my hubby was ready to turn them into the DBFS , Stands for (Division of Bird Family Services) LOL Good job Hon!